Hi everybody. My name is Joe Morris and I’ve just made my first attempts at writing poetry generally but I have now written a couple of football poems for your delectation. I support West Ham but hey we’re an endangered species. LOL. I write for pleasure now since I’m now retired on mental health grounds owing to a breakdown in 2012. My wonderfully loving and supportive family are my rock and inspiration. I like to think of myself as humble, very descriptive in my writing and forward thinking. Here are some of my poems.
Football – on the horizon once more
Like the passing of the seasons
Football, like the clock on the wall
Ticking towards the passions of the
Teeming terraces, the fans return to
Their natural place in the scheme of
Things, wending their way, traipsing
Towards those timeless turnstiles
Heaving with hope, sun lit tunnels
At the other end of August to May
Refrain of old, collective chants and new
chanting the melodies that uncle and
Dad once intoned through cloth capped caps
Then mum once offered her knitted hats
Days when rattles and rosettes flashed
With transient pleasure then contorted
Faces of weather beaten defeat, oh the loss
But then the sudden transition to victory
On Cup Final day, the culmination of it all
But on this Saturday, Sunday and Monday
The random nature of times,
Dates, any chronological order who
Cares, play the Beautiful Game
At midnight and don’t wake up the
Neighbours because the supporters
Will embrace the hour yet again
In the first grievances of the world
Swirl when people bristle at the
Injustices groaning at ongoing
Discomfort on the theatrical stages
Of life, but hey we’ll always have
Football at any time of your choosing
The green carpet of August
Hostilities, then the millionaires
of football’s monied classes
Preside from on high while
Those below flourish their scarves
Cheering under the canopy
Huddled together, cold, warm,
The Bovril masses gathered, the sound
Of those who may never be quiet
For a single moment, bound
Together by vested interests
The fusion of blood ties, wit
And humour wandering through
Our fevered thoughts for
We were biased, devoted
To forlorn causes, relegation
And promotion, goals that
Lighten our moods
Because we were there,
Bitten fingernails to the
Bitter end, timeless and priceless
This is our time to win the League
Now or never time frames
Hopefully savouring the wine
Of triumphant times
Write a comment…
- Roy Hodgson
- Woe United
- Business as usual
- Scotland- England
- Scotland, Scotland
- Domestic football downs its tools
- Top of the Premier League albeit briefly
- Transfer deadline day
- Erling Haaland
- Hammers are top of the Premier League
- West Ham- early doors
- Spain reign on the plains
- The Women’s World Cup Final
- Citizen Kane
- Ward Prowse, Alvarez and Maguire
- Days to go
- Opening day in the Championship
- The Community Shield- football again, definitely.
- It’s the rumour season again
- Trevor Francis
- The ladies are here
- Sponsored friendly games
- Farewell Dec
- The Women’s World Cup 2023
- Declan Rice- the summer break
- No football for a while
- Autism FC
- Sir Elton John and Watford
- Another Premier League season
- City, City, treble winners
- Oh, what a night!
- Neville Cardus- it’s not cricket
- Manchester derby FA Cup Final
- Luton, Luton, Luton.
- Oh what a claret and blue relief
- Prague- here we come.
- Southend demoted from the Football League.
- Happy 100th birthday Wembley
- Beaten by Klopp’s show boaters
- Oh Wrexham.
- Hillsborough – it must never happen again
- Liverpool- Arsenal
- Deeper and deeper
- Relegation- again in claret and blue
- Ukraine- we’re there for you.
- A night for record breaking
- The last four of the FA Cup semi finalists
- Patrick Vieira- Palace in disarray
- All is forgiven
- Silence is Match of the Day
- Oh woe West Ham!
- Farewell to the FA Cup- West Ham
- It’s the League Cup Final surely
- John Motson- the legend and sheepskin coat
- Spurs again and West Ham
- Football- hey!
- John Arlott and football
- FA Cup fourth round day
- Out of relegation zone but for how long?
- Rothmans Year Book.
- In no particular order.
- Vialli Vialli
- Coventry and Coventry City
- Pelé- the great one passes
- Christmas and Boxing Day
- Oh Georgie
- Argentina – World Champions 2022
- The boys of Brazil miss out but it’s Messi time.
- One step back for England
- Oh Brazil, word perfect.
- Let the goals flow
- England demolition job
- 60 shortly
- Let the voyage begin Gareth.
- Qatar World Cup
- Hereford in the FA Cup tonight and Ronnie.
- No joy at Old Trafford- again.
- A word or several of thanks to you
- Rishi Sunak is a Saint
- Leyton Orient
- Another fruitless night for Hammers at Anfield
- Shoot magazine
- Gunners still lead from the front.
- Anderlecht again for Hammers
- Premier League again
- Germany again
- England beaten again in Italy.
- Oh woe on Merseyside
- Has anybody spared a thought?
- Her Majesty the Queen
- England ladies go again.
- Who would be a referee?
- Honours even in London derby
- Lucas Paqueta
- Sunday, Sunday
- East London horror show.
- Fellow Football Bards
- First Premier League weekend
- The new football season
- Load more