Hi everybody. My name is Joe Morris and I’ve just made my first attempts at writing poetry generally but I have now written a couple of football poems for your delectation. I support West Ham but hey we’re an endangered species. LOL. I write for pleasure now since I’m now retired on mental health grounds owing to a breakdown in 2012. My wonderfully loving and supportive family are my rock and inspiration. I like to think of myself as humble, very descriptive in my writing and forward thinking. Here are some of my poems.
Football – on the horizon once more
Like the passing of the seasons
Football, like the clock on the wall
Ticking towards the passions of the
Teeming terraces, the fans return to
Their natural place in the scheme of
Things, wending their way, traipsing
Towards those timeless turnstiles
Heaving with hope, sun lit tunnels
At the other end of August to May
Refrain of old, collective chants and new
chanting the melodies that uncle and
Dad once intoned through cloth capped caps
Then mum once offered her knitted hats
Days when rattles and rosettes flashed
With transient pleasure then contorted
Faces of weather beaten defeat, oh the loss
But then the sudden transition to victory
On Cup Final day, the culmination of it all
But on this Saturday, Sunday and Monday
The random nature of times,
Dates, any chronological order who
Cares, play the Beautiful Game
At midnight and don’t wake up the
Neighbours because the supporters
Will embrace the hour yet again
In the first grievances of the world
Swirl when people bristle at the
Injustices groaning at ongoing
Discomfort on the theatrical stages
Of life, but hey we’ll always have
Football at any time of your choosing
The green carpet of August
Hostilities, then the millionaires
of football’s monied classes
Preside from on high while
Those below flourish their scarves
Cheering under the canopy
Huddled together, cold, warm,
The Bovril masses gathered, the sound
Of those who may never be quiet
For a single moment, bound
Together by vested interests
The fusion of blood ties, wit
And humour wandering through
Our fevered thoughts for
We were biased, devoted
To forlorn causes, relegation
And promotion, goals that
Lighten our moods
Because we were there,
Bitten fingernails to the
Bitter end, timeless and priceless
This is our time to win the League
Now or never time frames
Hopefully savouring the wine
Of triumphant times
Write a comment…
- Premier League again
- Germany again
- Football’s crazy, lazy days
- England beaten again in Italy.
- Oh woe on Merseyside
- Has anybody spared a thought?
- Her Majesty the Queen
- England ladies go again.
- Who would be a referee?
- Honours even in London derby
- Lucas Paqueta
- Sunday, Sunday
- East London horror show.
- Fellow Football Bards
- First Premier League weekend
- The new football season
- Let’s hear it for the ladies
- 56 years ago today
- Terry Neill obituary
- Another West Ham Italian striker
- Jesse Lingard
- How we love football language
- You’ll never guess.
- Remember those days.
- Macca and Liverpool
- Albania’s finest at West Ham?
- Hungary and England
- Yet more football
- Ken Aston- My primary school headmaster
- Thomas Hardy and football
- Forest back in the big time.
- The last post
- Paris- Champions League Final
- The close season.
- The finishing line
- Mark Noble
- Merseyside glory
- Bring back the Home Internationals
- The Premier League season’s end.
- The Last Euro Adventure
- Real Madrid again in Champions League final
- Premier League end of season ups and downs
- Hammers need another Euro comeback
- Premier League final stages
- Derby- the neutrals feel for you
- Sean Dyche sacked at Burnley
- Hammers in Euro semi final.
- Stung by the Bees
- Hammers 1-1 after Euro League battle royale.
- Hammers chew up stickier Toffees
- World Cup draw
- International friendlies
- Russian Euros – surely not
- West Ham, beaten in local derby
- West Ham- what a team.
- City still top.
- My dad.
- West Ham in Europe
- Premier League review
- FA Cup fifth round
- Chelsea’s Russian revolution
- Football grounds
- Manchester City beaten
- Don’t stop West Ham
- Liverpool beat Inter Milan
- City as slick as ever
- Ilford FC.
- FA Cup merry go round
- The voice of the FA Cup
- Transfer deadline day
- What- no football tomorrow?
- The Rams take a battering.
- City – still flying.
- 1966 and all that
- Rafa – sacked and not backed.
- Boris- more rugby than football
- The old days at Upton Park.
- The FA Cup Giantkillers & The Hammers
- FA Cup again- Hammers v Leeds 3rd Round
- New Year Scotland ~ Pools Reminders
- Hornets stung by the Hammers.
- Woe West Ham never on Boxing Day
- Out of the Carabao Cup – but who cares?
- The First World War football truce
- Virus claims football before Christmas
- Football at Christmas always seemed too much.
- Chelsea- Leeds – another fiery contest
- Goal-less draw at Burnley for the Hammers
- My Grandpa Jack- West Ham supporter
- World Cup – a year away now.
- FA Cup second round again
- West Ham still in contention.
- Ray Kennedy
- What would Peter Jones & Bryon Butler have thought?
- For West Ham read the class of 65.
- In The Middle Of Europe
- New Managerial Brooms- Gerrard, Howe and Smith
- The San Marino rout
- West Ham in the top three
- To FA Cup Glory
- FA Cup Final day
- Euros 2020
- Football Forever
- Football Coming Home, Hopefully