Hello folks – here’s some lesson plans for the Kick It Out competition – I’ll be using this with my school for some Citizenship/RS work – please adapt as suits. If anyfootie poets could come up with something after research of the following then that would be brilliant – please send through to this website. Best regards, Stuart.
KICK RACISM OUT OF FOOTBALL COMPETITION
Many people do not understand Islam or Muslim people. This is especially so after 9/11. Many people have stereotyped Muslims as supporters of Osama Bin Laden. In fact, the Muslim faith opposes violence.
Every year KICK RACISM OUT OF FOOTBALL teams up with BLACK HISTORY MONTH to celebrate the contribution made by Black Britons to our history and heritage. We do that again this year, but we also want to stop IGNORANCE ABOUT ISLAM. We do this through the COMPETITION.
VIP England World Cup tickets; local team tickets; footie kit and equipment for schools; replica shirts; t-shirts signed by Premiership players.
Badges; t-shirts; school equipment; praise slips; merits etc.
1. Wants you to get inside the head of a famous Muslim such as Nicholas Anelka, “Freddy” Kanoute, Amir Khan, Konnie Huq, Muhammed Ali, Zesh Rehman, Ikram Butt etc. (see HELP PACK FOR INFORMATION ON THESE PEOPLE) (other schools – contact www.kickitout.org for material)
2. You will do this by producing a 750 word diary about the impact of the first day of RAMADAN. (SEE HELP PACK AND LATER FACTS ABOUT RAMADAN AND LIST OF BRILLIANT WEB SITES FOR RESEARCH)
3. Diaries can include facts about Ramadan. Diaries can also include writing about emotional feelings (hopes, fears, worries, joy, commitment etc) about Ramadan.
4. Your work should look like a diary and it should be written in the first person. You can include pictures etc.
5. Your diary will be for October 15th.
1. Ramadan runs from October to November and ends with the festival of Eid-al-Fitr. This festival ends the fasting.
2. Fasting means total abstinence from food, drink and tobacco from dawn to dusk for this period.
3. Fasting helps bind people together – the rich feel the pangs of hunger and so know how the very poor must feel.
4. Ramadan has a big impact upon peoples’ daily lives – something that is not always understood by non-Muslim work or school colleagues.
5. Ramadan is one of the 5 pillars of Islam. Students may wish to say something about the other 4 pillars.
6. You may also wish to say something about the history of Ramadan – its history and the reasoning behind it.
7. You may also want to mention the rules about fasting and who is exempt.
8. You may also wish to mention other elements of Ramadan that are important to the fasting – eg, visiting family and friends; giving money to charities; attending regular prayers etc.
9. You may also want to mention how you will have to adapt your life during Ramadan – eg, your physical and mental energy may go down and so you might have to limit the things that you do. A big problem for a footballer or rugby player, don’t you think?
10. You might want to mention how non-Muslim friends and colleagues react to you and Ramadan.
11. You might also want to mention what you have planned for Eid.
12. You might also want to think about why we know so little about famous Muslim footballers – I have never heard the TV speak about Anelka and Kanoute being Muslim.
REALLY HELPFUL WEBSITES:
1. www.kickitout.org – general information about the project.
2. www.bbc.co.uk click on this and then enter ISLAM into the search box; check out CUSTOMS and click on SAWM.
3. www.channel4.co.uk only useful for clicking on HISTORY and then the BLACK AND ASIAN HISTORY MAP and then the SOUTH WEST and GLOUCESTER to see what we have done on this site before.
4. www.ramadan.co.uk click on the right hand side WHAT TO DO IN RAMADAN and EXPLAINING RAMADAN TO OTHER FAITHS. This site is also a gateway to other sites.
5. www.islam.about.com Information on Islam in general and Ramadan in particular. Good downloads of pictures and interviews etc.
6. www.islamfortoday.com In depth information about Islam today and the future.
7. www.islamcity.com Good downloadable material on Islam in general and Ramadan in particular.
REMEMBER – RESEARCH- ROUGH NOTES – FIRST DRAFT – TEACHER COMMENTS – 2ND DRAFT – HAND IN FOR COMMENTS – FINISHED PIECE.
WORK WILL BE SENT THROUGH TO THE AWARD WINNING www.irespect.net if you and your parents/guardians/carers would like that.
WORK ALSO SENT THROUGH TO KICK IT OUT.