Football Poets
-
Greg Freeman commented on a poem on Football Poets 2 years, 11 months ago
Ashington FC have launched a £50,000 Crowdfunder appeal to meet the increased costs of winning promotion last season, to pay for urgent stadium improvements, travel costs and equipment
-
Apollo Gees commented on a poem on Football Poets 3 years, 3 months ago
Let’s Hope for your sake Denys, that he doesn’t turn out to be from La-la-Land!
-
Greg Freeman commented on a poem on Football Poets 3 years, 3 months ago
A poem on Football Poets that is all about trains is all right in my trainspotting book!
-
Greg Freeman commented on a poem on Football Poets 4 years, 1 month ago
To put it politely!
-
Greg Freeman commented on a poem on Football Poets 4 years, 3 months ago
I remember Tony Dorigo! Australian full back. Scored the only goal for Chelsea in the Full Members Cup Final v Middlesbrough in 1990 (had to check Google). By pure chance I had a ticket for the press box. […]
-
Greg Freeman commented on a poem on Football Poets 4 years, 7 months ago
‘Roman holiday’ … good line, Joe. As a Chelsea fan, I can’t get my thoughts together on all this yet. I suppose it would be nice to write something before the Big One drops
-
Greg Freeman commented on a poem on Football Poets 4 years, 11 months ago
May I be the first to roar my approval for this poem, Steve. Well said, and well done.
-
A Bidewithme commented on a poem on Football Poets 4 years, 12 months ago
A great poem from Llew Beaton.
Andrew Watson was back in focus in 2021, see this related article….
-
Greg Freeman commented on a poem on Football Poets 5 years ago
‘Oh to be back there again’ … ‘the hapless days when we were poor / when he’d grab three but they’d get four”. Sadly I never saw Greaves play at Chelsea, a little before my time. We have to admit that Spurs […]
-
Greg Freeman commented on a poem on Football Poets 5 years ago
Your poem immediately made me think of that article, Crispin. When I moved up to York in 1976 almost the first thing I did was go to watch a game at Bootham Crescent. It was my way of anchoring myself in the […]
-
Greg Freeman commented on a poem on Football Poets 5 years, 3 months ago
This must be the definitive list of football cliches, or as near as dammit … Great stuff!
-
Greg Freeman commented on a poem on Football Poets 5 years, 4 months ago
A football lover’s lament. Beautifully measured poem on the great divide. Thank you, Crispin.
-
Greg Freeman commented on a poem on Football Poets 5 years, 4 months ago
Thanks for this, Crispin, a souvenir of a memorable night. Reading it brought tears to my eyes. Commiserations to City fans, I thought your name was on the trophy this time.
-
Greg Freeman commented on a poem on Football Poets 5 years, 6 months ago
Intriguing poem, Dave. I don’t think that Geoff Hurst shot would have survived VAR or goalline technology, and then where would the history of this country be, eh? Mind you, the Germans got their revenge in South […]
-
Carlo Thatsyerlotti commented on a poem on Football Poets 5 years, 7 months ago
Thanks for sharing Denys,
I always look forward to your poems.
“Blue is the colour” as my tribe would say!
And happily, we followed your suit!
One nil win at Anfield for us last night.
Though […]
-
Attila The Stockbroker published a poem on the site Football Poets 6 years ago
When the ref blows three times on the whistle
It’s the moment a football match ends.
Except when you’re playing Man United.
When that is the case, it depends.
If injury time isn’t sufficient
(And exten […] -
Dachlan Cartwright commented on a poem on Football Poets 6 years, 10 months ago
Hi Denys, it’s great to have another Toffee posting on Footy Poets. I haven’t contributed for some time, but if you click my name you’ll find some Everton poems going back several years.
Yes, now we’re all made […]
-
A Bidewithme commented on a poem on Football Poets 6 years, 12 months ago
Kev….. the Rev, of that place that rhymes with Les Fridge!
🙂
-
Dachlan Cartwright commented on a poem on Football Poets 7 years, 7 months ago
What s superb poet you are Sharon! This from a Toffee.
-
A Bidewithme commented on a poem on Football Poets 8 years, 3 months ago
at least the waistcoat is coming home then? 😉
- Load More

My Account
About This Site
Welcome to Football Poets -- a club for all football poets, lovers of football and lovers of (alternative) poetry. Discover poets in every league from respected internationals at the top of their game to young hopefuls in the school playground.
Publish your football poems here and then discuss them with your team mates and fans. We're archived by The British Library, so your masterpieces are in the safe hands of a world-class keeper. What a result!
Latest Poems
joe morris
9th October 2026
Alex Saynor
8th October 2026
Clik The Mouse
7th October 2026
Clik The Mouse
4th October 2026
Denys E. W. Jones
2nd October 2026
joe morris
22nd September 2026
Crispin Thomas
21st September 2026
Alex Saynor
18th September 2026
joe morris
10th September 2026
joe morris
29th August 2026
Crispin’s Corner
In Memoriam
Kick It Out & Christmas Truce
Latest Comments
28th July 2026 at 9:40 pm
Hi Denys. Thanks for your kind words. I could have mentioned Dixie Dean but decided not to.
Best wishes, mate
See in context
26th July 2026 at 3:47 pm
Great knowledge of Everton history, Joe.
See in context
23rd July 2026 at 6:54 pm
Hi Jason,
Sorry I forgot to congratulate you on your excellent poem as well.
Keep well
Joe
See in context
23rd July 2026 at 6:43 pm
Hi Jason,
Thanks so much for your kind words about Kevin Keegan, a footballer of legendary status and deeply missed.
Best wishes
Joe
See in context
23rd July 2026 at 12:01 pm
Thank you, Crispin. I will defo encorage my bunch to contribute and will of course clear it with staff room.
Many thanks
Jase
See in context
22nd July 2026 at 6:48 pm
Great poem Jase.
You are a man of my own heart …
And great to hear that you your students poems from our site.
Keep on and more please
if ever some of your students write anything suitable for here and most importantly they give you permission to publish them, you can always do so under your name referencing their names and the school..and year.
Best Crispin
See in context
22nd July 2026 at 10:29 am
I think this is best thing I have read so far about the legend. Thanks
See in context
22nd July 2026 at 10:22 am
One of the greats, inspired my generation of school kids in the 80s
See in context
23rd May 2026 at 3:35 pm
Hi Crispin,
Thanks for the featured poem for the Arsenal Premier League victory. I love that photo showing the Arsenal ladies and fans in full rattle and rosette mode. I’ve seen it before quite a few times and, I think, a bit iconic. I think it was before the Gunners victory against Liverpool in the 1950 FA Cup Final. Great photograph.
Thanks
Joe
See in context
8th May 2026 at 4:21 pm
Thanks for that Joe. Yes it’s been some season we had a blip but came out of it and finished strong. A mate of mine supports West Ham here in Coventry and my next door neighbour is a Spurs supporter, and both are getting edgy ! I like the Championship though as it’s competitive and has some good teams, players, and fans. Anyway we are back in the top flight and who knows what will happen ?
Cheers. Kev.
See in context