The past remembered

1 Leave a comment on verse 1 0 I watched a thousand times
the elegant DUCHESS of YORK
smiling in the ROYAL BOX

2 Leave a comment on verse 2 0 This is from the year 1933
when one man was a goalscoring machine

3 Leave a comment on verse 3 0 The ROYAL STANDARD
at the towers of WEMBLEY

4 Leave a comment on verse 4 0 LIME STREET STATION
full of Liverpool people
waiting for Dixie and the lads

5 Leave a comment on verse 5 0 WITHOUT the sad War a few years
later, Everton would be the
champions somewhere
in the early 1940’s

6 Leave a comment on verse 6 0 But many brave people
had to defend the land
of football
that we can now remember

7 Leave a comment on verse 7 0 The football games played
since the war ended
and that EVERTON could
win the the League title in 1963
and again the Cup in 1966
and also the League title
in 1970
and to lift FA Cup in 1984
and to be
the champions in 1985
and in 1987 indeed

8 Leave a comment on verse 8 0 It is not clear what football will
be like later in this century

9 Leave a comment on verse 9 0 But in 1915, 100 YEARS ago,
EVERTON were the champions!


The 1933 FA Cup final was momentous one for many reasons. Ted Sagar and Dixie Dean were appearing in what turned out to be their only FA Cup final.It was Everton’s first Wembley cup final appearance and the players wore the numbers on their shirts for the first time in a competitive match.The numbers were from 1-22, with Everton wearing one to eleven and City wearing 12-22.With both teames’ first choice jerseys being blue, neutral strips had to be worn. City chose Red and Everton chose white.Everton had no proper manager at the time and so the team selection was made in consultation with skipper Dixie Dean.The selection was to prove a slightly controversial one.Everton’s decision to omit Ted Critchley in preference to Albert Geldard on the right wing had caused some consternation amongst the Goodison faithful.

Critchley, who had lost his place seven months earlier, had been brought back in the semi final game against West Ham and had scored the winning goal.City had their own problems too.Centre forward Freddie Tilson was ruled out and Marshall came in at inside right with Herd moving to centre forward.

It was veteran Jimmy McMullan’s last game before his retirement and he was looking to sign off on a high note.City were fastes off the starting blocks creating a chance within the first minute.Toseland sent over a high, searching far cross post which Sagar did well to hold.Although he was rarely troubled on the day, Sagar’s claim assurance when he handled the ball had a positive, inspiring effect on his team-mates.
Everton turned the tables on City and started to get a foothold on the game.With Dean in tremendous form it was only a matter of time before City’s defence buckled and it did so with 41 minutes on the clock.City keeper Langford dropped a Britton cross under intense pressure from Dean and winger Stein had the simple task of side-footing the ball home from close range-1-0 to Everton!

The hapless Langford was guilty of another howler seven minutes into the second period when he failed to hold another Britton cross and Dean powerfully headed home a deserved goal.

Ten minutes from time Jimmy Dunn got his name on the scoresheet with the third, getting on the end of Geldard’s looping cross. The winger’s selection had been vindicated by his valuable contribution.

The referee blew for full time and Everton climbed the steps to the Royal Box.Dean received the trophy and held it aloft to the Blue half of the 92,950 crowd and the party went on into the night both in London and all the way back down to Liverpool. (FROM EVERTONFC official WEBSITE)

Source: http://footballpoets.org/poems/the-past-remembered/